Thursday, July 5, 2012

To Roncesvalle by the hard way....

We lost our window for safe and flyable weather conditions. On tuesday evening storms. On wednesday morning yet calm but browing around the Pyrenees. No way to fly across! So we decide to walk over to Roncesvalle.
We are not obliged to pull or carry the paramotors but it has never been done before eithwer way - by air or ground. So we do it simply as a contribution to the project. I start at 12h pulling behind me a bag on little rolls which contains the paramotor and some further equipment. Ales wants to follow a bit later.

It will take me eight hours to Roncesvalle (35kms and 1000 mts of altitude difference) and be one of the hardest experiences ever passed. The huge bag touches the ground constantly and the grip handles are wrongly placed so it hurts a lot or limits my pace by touching my ankles plus the asphalt is very rough so pulling up costs a lot of energy due to the resistance (friction) of the ground. Fortunaltely there is plenty of water.....I drink liters...at 20h I cross the Ibaneta in rough storm but I was lucky with the rain. The rain starts shortly after I reach Werner who is parked near the monastery of Roncesvalle.

I get into the pilgrim hostel to get my pass stamped and take a hot shower.
By 23h no sign of Ales. Very bad weather. Hanka sends message that they are on the road and she follows him with the second vehicle. Anyway he has decided to carry the paramotor on his bag across the Ibaneta. Will he reach us in time?




My back hurts a lot when awakening at around 10h on thu. july, 5. Only 5 days we have to get to Burgos. The weather stays rainy and still no sign of Ales....by noon I have to carry on walking towards Pamplona and this time I only carry the glider and not the paramotor! 46 kms to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment